Auckland UniServices Ltd is dedicated to connecting the University’s capabilities to business and investors, government and the community.
UniServices is a wholly-owned company of the University of Auckland. In just 25 years UniServices has grown to produce an income of over NZ$135 million per annum, far surpassing any similar operation in New Zealand and Australia. This income derives from contract research and consulting, customised education programmes to 25,000 students around the world and from transferring intellectual property developed by staff and students at the University to the public and private sectors.
All surpluses generated by UniServices are paid to the University of Auckland and are applied to expanding and enhancing its capabilities in commercial and basic research.
UniServices by the numbers in 2013:
- Cumulative revenue over the last 10 years is $1billion
- Revenue has increased by 102% from 2005 to $130m in 2013
- 88 Patent Applications, 21 Provisional Fillings and issued 23 Patents in 2013
- 9 spin-out companies and 151 licenses in the past 4 years
- Spin-out companies have raised $145 million of investment in the last 4 years
- Commercialisation income of $15m, from an investment of $3.5m in 2013
- More than 700 employees, drawing on the expertise and knowledge of the 5,000 University of Auckland staff across 8 faculties
Where we operate
- 42+ countries
- 35% of our clients are international
- 75% of our business is on the Pacific Rim