Equipments and Facilities
The Centre operates an extensive array of laboratory equipment and facilities for materials characterisation and testing. These are listed below:
- X-Ray Diffractometer with glancing angle attachment and hot stage to identify the compounds and their crystal structures.
- Single crystal X-Ray Diffractometer.
- High-Resolution Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope with microanalysis unit and cryo-stage for surface morphology and microstructure imaging, elemental and failure analysis.
- ToF-SIMS (Time of Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometer) for detailed chemical analysis of the outer few atomic layers of a surface.
- Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (ESEM) for analysis of materials at elevated temperature and gaseous environment.
- Boreal Laser and Hiden quadrupole mass spectrometer for gas emission analysis.
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectrometer with depth profiling to identify surface composition and chemistry, corrosion mechanisms, nature of surface contamination etc.
- Atomic Force Microscope for investigation of roughness factors, friction and magnetic storage capabilities
- Furnaces of various sizes capable of 1600C.
Analytical and Diagnostic Services
- Material testing and surface modification
- Advanced process analysis and control tools
- Cell dynamic, electromagnetic, thermoelectric modeling
- Testing and development of refractories.
- New electrolysis processes and electrode testing mechanical strength (tensile/yield testing)
- Defect analysis: porosity, casting (HPDC, gravity die-casting, sand casting, investment casting); extrusion defects (surface segregation, flow lines, die lines, etc.).
- Fatigue testing
- Flat surface – COF (coefficient of friction) testing, reduction of slipperiness.
- Micro-structural investigations (SEM, AFM, micro-hardness, etc.)
- Chemical and phase compositions (XRF, XRD, SEM, TEM, XPF, etc.)
- PVD (physical vapor deposition) expertise in titanium based coatings
- PACVD (Plasma assisted chemical vapour deposition); DLC coatings
- Anodising (Extrusions – 6xxx series Al; and high Si cast Al)
- Electroplating; Electrolyses Ni coatings.
- Laser micro-machining of materials (10-6m to 10-9m levels)